Local television station Fox40 is reporting a story about a woman allegedly assaulted along the American River Bike Trail on July 2, 2014.
Note the location of the alleged attack being near railroad tracks near downtown Sacramento. Although the entire length of the American River Bike Trail can be the target of an assault, it is important to underscore the approximate location of the recent attack as the perpetrator may still be in the vicinity of the recent alleged attack. Consider approaching an on duty ranger to ask advice around safety measures on the bike trail.
In all cases, bike trail users must always practice safety measures. General safety precautions include:
- Riding in a group with others bicyclists.
- Refraining from the use of music ear buds that may distract one’s sense of hearing.
- Carefully observe the trail ahead and avoiding paths away from the main paved trail. If suspicious parties are in view ahead, consider changing directions rather than proceeding.
- Use the bike trail during the daylight hours only.
- Make sure your bicycle has reflectors for others to see you when traveling the streets to and from the bike trail.
- Wear light colored clothing to improve your visibility in transit to the trail, using the trail and when returning home after using the trail.
- Carry a cell phone for emergency communications is also important.
The entire news story can be accessed through the following link: Fox40 Story.